Historic Preservation Efforts
The Beebe Estate exhibits characteristics of the transition from the Federal to the early Greek Revival style of architecture. The traditional five-bay, center-entrance massing is reminiscent of the Federal style, while the portico with fluted Doric columns, high, flat entablature, and pedimented roof exhibit Greek Revival-style elements. The building has wood clapboard siding with narrow flat cornerboards, fascia, and window surrounds.
Topping the structure is a central cupola. The polygonal base supports a cylindrical ring of six fluted ionic columns. The entablature of the cupola features carved wreaths, dentils, and anthemion antefix.
A significant element of the house is the ornamental balustrade along the base of the hipped roof. An ‘X’ pattern spans between panels accented with an acroteria motif in a scroll and anthemion pattern at the center and corners. Recent paint analysis showed that while the earliest layers of paint on the body of the house date to c1828, the paint layers on the cupola are no earlier than c1845-1855, suggesting that it was added at that time.
The house includes the main block and a rear kitchen ell. Turn-of-the-century photographs show the main part of the house looking much as it does today. But an undated photo (probably from the late 19th century) shows that the rear ell was once somewhat narrower than its present size and had a one-story lateral porch facing the garden. This feature had been removed and the house had reached its present size and appearance by the early 20th century.